Robert Greene is a best-selling author and expert on power, strategy, and human nature. He has written six books that have been translated into more than 30 languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide.
His most famous book is The 48 Laws of Power, which offers a guide to achieving success and influence in any field or situation. In this article, we will explore some of the most inspiring and insightful quotes from Robert Greene and his works.
The 48 Laws of Power
The 48 Laws of Power is a collection of historical anecdotes and stories that illustrate the principles of power and manipulation. Greene draws from various sources, such as Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, Napoleon, and others, to show how different people have used or abused power throughout history.
The book is divided into 48 chapters, each containing a law of power, a transgression of the law, an observance of the law, and a reversal of the law. Here are some of the most memorable quotes from The 48 Laws of Power:
– “When you show yourself to the world and display your talents, you naturally stir all kinds of resentment, envy, and other manifestations of insecurity… you cannot spend your life worrying about the petty feelings of others”
– “LAW 4: Always Say Less Than Necessary When you are trying to impress people with words, the more you say, the more common you appear, and the less in control. Even if you are saying something banal, it will seem original if you make it vague, open-ended, and sphinxlike. Powerful people impress and intimidate by saying less. The more you say, the more likely you are to say something foolish.”
– “If you are unsure of a course of action, do not attempt it. Your doubts and hesitations will infect your execution. Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity. Everyone admires the bold; no one honors the timid.”
– “Keep your friends for friendship, but work with the skilled and competent”
– “Do not leave your reputation to chance or gossip; it is your life’s artwork, and you must craft it, hone it, and display it with the care of an artist.”
– “LAW 46: Never Appear Too Perfect Appearing better than others is always dangerous, but most dangerous of all is to appear to have no faults or weaknesses. Envy creates silent enemies. It is smart to occasionally display defects, and admit to harmless vices, in order to deflect envy and appear more human and approachable. Only gods and the dead can seem perfect with impunity.”
– “LAW 25: Re-Create Yourself Do not accept the roles that society foists on you. Re-create yourself by forging a new identity, one that commands attention and never bores the audience. Be the master of your own image rather than letting others define if for you. Incorporate dramatic devices into your public gestures and actions – your power will be enhanced and your character will seem larger than life.”
– “Never assume that the person you are dealing with is weaker or less important than you are. Some people are slow to take offense, which may make you misjudge the thickness of their skin, and fail to worry about insulting them. But should you offend their honor and their pride, they will overwhelm you with a violence that seems sudden and extreme given their slowness to anger. If you want to turn people down, it is best to do so politely and respectfully, even if you feel their request is impudent or their offer ridiculous.”
Other Works by Robert Greene
Besides The 48 Laws of Power, Robert Greene has also written five other books that explore various aspects of human nature, such as seduction, war, mastery, and the laws of human nature.
Here are some of the most inspiring and insightful quotes from his other works:
– “The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.” (The 33 Strategies of War)
– “When it comes to mastering a skill, time is the magic ingredient.” (Mastery)
– “We do not see people as they are, but as they appear to us. And these appearances are usually misleading.” (The Laws of Human Nature)
– “Your life must be a progression towards ownership – first mentally of your independence, and then physically of your work, owning what you produce.”(The 50th Law)
– “There is too little mystery in the world; too many people say exactly what they feel or want.” (The Art of Seduction)
Robert Greene is a master of understanding and explaining the dynamics of power, strategy, and human nature. His books are full of wisdom and practical advice that can help anyone achieve their goals and overcome their challenges.
His quotes are not only inspiring and insightful, but also provocative and challenging, forcing us to question our assumptions and beliefs. Whether you want to learn how to be more powerful, more seductive, more masterful, or more human, Robert Greene has something to offer you.